Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chocolate Chip Mint Cheesecake

Let’s take a trip.

If you have never been to Powell’s Bookstore on Burnside in Portland, the best way I can describe it for you is to compare it to chocolate chip mint cheesecake. Absolutely out of this world.

Powell’s is a block. A complete city block. And on top of that, it has at least three stories. Filled with new and used books.

Within this incredible structure lies The Rose Room. This is heaven on earth for fans of young adult literature. At least 7 rows. Seven high, long rows of young adult books. And that does not count the ones on sale. Or the ones in the Pacific Northwest section. Or the ones in the educational section. Or—you get the point.

The problem with going to bookstores as an author is that you feel like you ought to work. So on my most recent trip, I went to Powell’s with three goals in mind. The first two were utter failures. You don’t want to hear about them. The third goal was to find absolutely wonderful books. TO READ.

Ding, ding, ding! Success!

So here’s what I bought:

Catching Fire--because I am weak and cannot wait until it is out in paperback.

Hunger Games--because I checked it out of the library and, of course, now I need to own it.

The Letter Writer--because a. It is by Ann Rinaldi, b. I can’t get it from the library, and c. I read the first page and was hooked. Her characters have wonderful voice.

Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman--because it is about India, and I love books set in other cultures. And it has romance. And it is in paperback. I am really looking forward to this one.

And finally—dum da dum dum dummm.

Because it’s based on a fairy tale. And the heroine doesn’t want the prince (Aurelia and I have a special fondness for princesses who don’t want to marry the prince). And someone on Goodreads recommended it to me. And the cover is absolutely gorgeous. And Mercedes Lackey wrote The Changeling Sea. I bought The Sleeping Beauty.

Ah, now that is definitely as good as cheesecake.

3 comments:

  1. They could cost about the same. Depends where you get the cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Meredith. True. But I'm afraid I negated that advantage by making fruit pizza with my best friend and visiting Cold Stone Creamery on the same weekend.

    ReplyDelete