Thursday, August 19, 2010

5 Star Review

Me: Hi, Aurelia.

Aurelia: Good to see you’re still living.

Me: My foot hurts. It must be three million miles between everything and the sixth grade wing.

Aurelia: So what do you want to talk about today?

Me: I want to review one of my all time favorite books that no one’s ever heard of.

Aurelia: OK, let’s hear it.


Witch of the Glens by Sally Watson

Kelpie is a sixteen-year-old thief. And a gypsy lass with the second sight. She cares nothing for the rumors of war now sweeping the Scottish Highlands, for she is far more interested in her own outrageous dreams—of becoming a real witch and defeating Mina and Bogle, the two people who stole her as a wee bairn and raised her with their own set of brutal morals.

But when Kelpie is ordered by her guardians to spy in the house of Glenfern (a place rife with the dangers of sweet wee Marie; the skeptical questions of the twins, Ronald and Donald; the open friendship of Eithne; the confounding trust of handsome Ian; and the even more baffling tongue of the wretchedly annoying Alex), Kelpie learns that sometimes dreams change. Sometimes what you know is right . . . isn’t. And sometimes war is unavoidable.

This is one of my favorite books ever! I’ve read it at least a dozen times.

IMO Witch of the Glens is the perfect blend of adventure, history, romance. And a sharp-tongued, quick-witted heroine.

Set in 1644, rather than the later and more commonly portrayed Bonnie Prince Charlie period, this book is the reason I always wanted to travel to Scotland. And finally did. For years, you couldn’t buy Witch of the Glens, unless you could afford $800.00 to purchase it from a rare book dealer online. But it is available for a regular cost now through Image Cascade Publishing at the following site:
www.ImageCascade.com. And possibly through Amazon. Or you may be lucky enough to find it at your local library, as I first discovered it, or through interlibrary loan.

Aurelia: How quick-witted is she?

Me: Not quite as quick-witted as you.

Aurelia: All right then. I think I’ll read it.

3 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be checking this one out! Thanks for the rec:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't steered me wrong yet. I'll be reading this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your posts with character commentary. So fun! Also, you won an award! Check it out here: http://seescootread.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete